Leadership From the Inside Out is a program for individual leaders or leadership teams with a growth mindset and a desire to develop the hardest leadership skill of all – the soft skills of leading people. Leaders need tactical leadership skills of course, but the make or break of any leader is how they communicate and listen to understand, and manage the human dynamics of teams.
As specialists in the change process we know changing a belief, attitude and behavior takes time for reflection and practice. Henry Ford was known to say ‘thinking is the hardest work or all, which is why most people don’t do it’. Our design breaks the material into 8 modules delivered one or two days each 4 – 6 weeks over 10 months. Each participant is paired with a reflection and practice partner for regular practice and peer coaching between sessions.
“This course saved us thousands of dollars – I might even say millions. ”President of a global company
Course Content Overview
True leadership is only possible by communicating and relating to people. Transactional Analysis is a psychology of individuals and business systems that helps leaders bring out the best in themselves and others for the purpose of engagement, collaboration and making better decisions even when there is missing information.
Most of us have never had an opportunity to learn a cohesive yet practical psychology of human behavior- or what makes up or inner theatre of beliefs and feelings. Yet self-awareness and an awareness of others is the most important knowledge to have if you want to be your most effective ‘self’ – as leader or as human being. You will be taught many elements of the model of Transactional Analysis that gives insight and practical tools to turnaround even the most challenging situation and create the outcome you want.
So much of what drives decisions and behaviors are “under the surface”. Your freedom to trust or not, feel confident with strong minded people, being straight in how you communicate (or beat around the bush) were formed long before you became a leader – shaped from your earliest experience in a system, the family system you grew up in. It is proven scientifically that if a person doesn’t believe something is possible, they cannot actually see reality/factors that in fact make it possible. A fixed and rigid mindset can be seen in elementary school age children or younger. Help yourself and others loosen their grip on rigidly held beliefs is possible if you have the knowledge to know how.
You will learn why you operate as you do. If your role requires successful relationships, this program is for you. It is especially appealing to those looking for the logic behind what people do and tools for how to be more effective thinkers, communicators, and coaches. All behavior, even the downright dysfunctional, makes logical sense once you understand the back story of their earliest experiences.
Each module of Leadership from the Inside Out builds on the previous one. The concepts use simple language to describe complex human processes. There will be examples and case studies that make the material come to life. Each participant contributes their own experiences to be analyzed and understood through a new lens. You will discover why things went well so it can be repeated with intention. And you will learn why things went poorly and what can be done to get back on track. Every situation offers a lesson to be learned. See more details on each module in the sections below.
Cohort 6: June 1, 2021 – December 15, 2021 SOLD OUT
- June 1 & 2, 2021
- June 22
- July 20
- August 17
- September 21
- October 26
- November 23 & 24
- December 15
Cohort 7: June 3 – December 14, 2021 – SOLD OUT
- June 3 & 4, 2021
- June 23
- August 5 & 6
- September 22
- October 27
- November 25 & 26
- December 14
Cohort 8: January 2022 – September 2022
- January 24 & 25, 2022
- February 8, one hour zoom teaching case study 5 – 6 pm.
- February 16
- March 8, one hour zoom teaching case study 5 – 6 pm
- March 23
- April 12, one hour zoom teaching case study 5 – 6pm
- April 27
- May 10, one hour zoom teaching case study 6 – 6 pm
- June 1
- June 14, one hour zoom teaching case study
- June 29
- August 17
- August 30, one hour zoom teaching case study
- September 12
Specific Course Objectives
- Trust is the bedrock of successful teams, not to mention a joyful life. This complex topic will be explored throughout the program. You will learn how to change whatever isn’t working for you with people and problem solving. It takes self awareness, awareness of others and trust.
- Learn why things go right and how to make successful collaborative outcomes repeatable.
- Learn how and why, when things go wrong they usually go wrong at the beginning but we are blind to it.
- Learn the components of successful beginnings.
- Learn what are psychological hungers and how leaders create corporate cultures that starve people.
- Learn about the template of your past that informs how you approach life, relationships and work in any present moment. Your past experiences in adulthood and your childhood) are long gone from your memory, but not from your current life. With the awareness you will gain in this program you will have many options for approaching opportunities, challenges and issues within yourself, your team and your entire organization. If your organization is family owned or operated, this program is most definitely for you.
- Communicate with influence, listen to understand and negotiate with potency and integrity.
- Learn to interrupt your cycle of distress that is left leads to significant mistakes, based on a specific model of personality adaptation that describes your strengths in leadership and predicts your blind spots that drives behaviours and compromises your effectiveness under stress.
- You will learn coaching skills that builds the capacity of your team. Applying the material even more deeply from last month, you will recognize in yourself and others the early warning signs that lead to failure and learn to interrupt the negative spiral and re-establish effectiveness. NASA has used this model with its astronauts to save lives and their investment.
- Psychological safety is essential for innovation and creativity. You will participate in creating it for yourself and others in the program and experience it for yourself and learn to create it for others.
- You will approach decision-making with greater clarity and confidence.
- You will uncover the components of your fear of failure and impostor syndrome and learn how to change these debilitating beliefs.
- You will negotiate courageously without ‘psychological gamesmanship’
- You will understand diversity from the inside out. Learn how to influence and be influenced by ‘the other’ even when they are very different in culture, attitudes, and beliefs from your own. This program helps participants uncover their unconscious bias and enables them to value diversity.
- There are specific ways to change one’s heart and mind – Transactional Analysis concepts teach ‘how’ to be emotionally aware of one’s self and make a positive impact on others. This is emotional intelligence and resilience in action.
- Be a leader who coaches skillfully to develop a ‘leaders’ mindset’.
Participants engage in peer coaching between modules to anchor their development and hone their understanding and application of the leadership concepts. In addition, there are on-line coaching sessions as participants develop their skills. Coaching packages for individuals and teams is possible for an additional charge.
Module 1: The Road Map of Congruence and Authenticity
How we begin anything influences all that follows. When things go wrong, they go wrong in the beginning. This module demonstrates how to create commitment and clarity for everyone’s learning goals. You will clarify those specific aspects of your leadership you want to develop. Leadership is a big topic. We begin unpacking what in particular it means for each participant and what your organization needs from you in your leadership role.
You will learn three concepts of human behavior and team dynamics that are the big picture of the human behavior roadmap: making agreements, the power of recognition in creating healthy cultures, decrease stress and increase clarity of thought, scripts and the stories we tell ourselves (to our detriment).
Module 2: Transform Your Beliefs
How often do we take the time and space to consider in depth what we believe and value? In this module, we discuss our visions for the future and conduct an in-depth investigation of the beliefs that unconsciously drive behavior. It is the challenging and limiting beliefs we have about ourselves and about others that negatively impact how we lead. Living an examined life gives power to create a future of your choice.
You will learn the components of human personality and to recognize when a part in the driving seat of your life and your leadership and headed for a crash, or a win.
Module 3: Impactful Communication
What we believe is how we communicate. You will learn models of communication styles that will forever change your understanding of just how come some people are powerhouse communicators and others aren’t. Attendees will garner not only an understanding of the bit picture of effective communication but many practical tools for how talk so people will listen and how to listen so people will talk. Communication is the life blood of effective leadership – learn how to do it authentically and with ease.
Module 4: Ending the Psychological Game
If you want to know just how to destroy a relationship, a company culture, a team, this is the module that teaches you how. You already have experienced these negative behaviors in every day life at work and at home. Participants immediately recognize the toxic interpersonal patterns we describe because they are all around us – Psychological Games. Once you know the formula, you have the secret formula to change your life.
Module 5: Personality Adaptations
Adaptive styles from this model give leaders insight on how to successfully establish rapport, focus, make insightful decisions, and recognize when you are about to sabotage yourself and others. Unlike other personality profiles, you do not fit into a box. This researched and validated model describes your ‘whole self’ and the six says we all have learned to adapt in ways that compromise our authenticity and competence. To be fully yourself, sharing your own thoughts and feelings, desires and ambitions, opinions and experiences is no small feat. Since childhood we have learned the rules of the family that may not actually serve us in having a successful and joyful life at work and in personal relationships. This module integrates all the previous models in a comprehensive and holistic way. You will change the way you coach, lead team meetings, manage your stress, understand the stress of others. You will know deeper aspects of ‘who you are’ and ‘how you got here’.
Module 6: Reality Blindness and the Cure
Where do we actually learn how to think? Not what to think, but how to think about our thinking. This module builds the thinking muscle and has a matrix past participants take into every important meeting. Determining what information is significant, whether the significance also presents a problem, establishes whether the problem has options for resolution, and who can actually implement the option.
Module 8: Putting it All Together
Participants connect and integrate all the concepts to create an ongoing plan for implementing targeted change. Participants will create and share their Personal Leadership Development Plan. By now, people recognize they are not alone in their desires to be the best of themselves – more often and with more confidence and ease. Everyone has a story, and that story has brought them to this moment, acknowledged for it’s value, and consciously archived. What brought us here, won’t get us there. The world needs autonomous leaders of the future, not ones limited by their past but free to create a better world, one business at a time, one life at a time.
Cost & Registration
Course capacity is 10-14 participants for personalized leadership development. Lorna Johnston is the main training provider. All modules delivered in-person, except when COVID restrictions require online training.
Total investment in each participant is $10,000 plus GST and includes tuition, peer coaching, psychometric testing and a $2,000 training manual.
The total instructional hours are 60 spread over 8 – 10 months. Participants receive a Leadership from the Inside Out Certificate at the completion of the course issued by The Change Institute and delivered to a worldwide ethical and professional standard by trainers who have internationally recognized credentials by International and European Transactional Analysis Associations for developing competence in leaders applying Transactional Analysis in their roles.
Cohort 1: September 2018 – May 2019
Cohort 2: May 2019 – February 2020
Cohort 3: November 2019 – August 2020
Cohort 4: November 2019 – September 2020
Cohort 5: October 2020 – May 14, 2021